The European Forum Alpbach took place for the first time in August 1945 as one of the first international political and intellectual events in a devastated Europe and has established itself as an important hub for interdisciplinary exchange of ideas to this day.
Since then, world-famous scientists, economists, politicians and artists meet in the Tyrolean mountain village of Alpbach every summer in order to engage in an open and interdisciplinary dialogue. The aim of the Forum is to promote European integration, to participate in the development of democracy in Europe, to commit to sustainability and to give creativity and art free space.
Today, more than 4,000 people from over 60 countries come together every year to experience the unique atmosphere of Alpbach.
The young, critical spirit has been a central part of the Forum and one of the characteristics making it unique in Europe. Last year, more than 700 scholarship holders from over 45 countries participated in the European Forum Alpbach thanks to the generous support of our sponsors. We lay a special emphasis on actively invol-ving dedicated young people, persuading them to live the „spirit of Alpbach“ and carry it out into the world.
Who should apply?
- Romanian students (all disciplines and each level Bachelor, Master, Ph.D.) and young professionals who are interested in European and international affairs
- with a strong interest for other disciplines
- eager to engage in a multicultural environment
- English at a minimum B2 level
- willing to attend the Forum* for the entire duration and who commit to take part in the evening organised for our partners and sponsors in Romania, shortly after the end of Forum.
*The applicants who cannot attend the Forum for its entire duration (16 days) will also be considered but we will favour those applicants able to attend for the entire period.
The European Forum Alpbach 2019 takes place from August 14 to August 30, 2019 in Alpbach / Tyrol / Austria. This year’s edition will have “Liberty and Security” as the main topic.
The application process for EFA 2019 via IGAR will be announced on our Facebook page, so do not hesitate to follow our page.
The selection procedure will be lasting several days, while an independent selection committee will allocate the scholarships.
The selection committee will be formed by:
1.Representatives of the IGAR’s board:
Tudor T., Florian K., Olivia D., Oana H.
2. Representatives of our sponsors;
3. External representatives (diplomats, professors etc.)
For the evaluation, the following criteria will be taken into account: age (between 18 and 30), content of the motivation statement, academic achievements, professional experience, extra-curricular activities, and overall structure of the application.
Your participation will make a sustainable and vital contribution to the future of Europe.
A scholarship offered through IGAR consists of:
- The participation fee for the European Forum Alpbach** 1400 Euro;
- The accommodation for 17 days 561 Euro;
- The daily allowance for food for 17 days 289 Euro;
* In order to accept the scholarship, you will have to agree to become a member of IGAR for at least 1 year and pay the annual membership fee of 50 Lei.
** The official participation fee for the European Forum Alpbach is 1.400 Euro, IGAR is a beneficiary of a grant offered by European Forum Alpbach Foundation which supports 1.260 Euro from the official participation fee for each scholarship holder.
Please note that the scholarship covers the conference fee as well as the accommodation (in double or multiple rooms with breakfast) and a daily meal allowance during the entire duration of the Forum.
The scholarship does not cover travel expenses unless in exceptional cases.
For all details regarding the scholarship programme please visit